Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Teach Me Tuesday~ Drifting

Hi Friends!
Welcome to another "Teach Me Tuesday" post!  God has been teaching me a lot of little lessons lately but at church on Sunday there were some things that Pastor Mike said that have really stuck with me.  Our church is doing a "How to Wreck Your Life" series and this week's sermon was on Drifting.

2 Corinthians 11:3 "But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ."

Let's face it, Satan wants to destroy our faith.  He doesn't want us to follow God, listen to Him, or live a life that pleases Him. He wants to "steal, kill, and destroy."  He's a bad, bad dude.  Yet he's subtle and he can get us to fall away in the most deceptive ways.

These are the 5 steps that you are drifting away from God:
1.  You are disregarding your time with God.
2.  You are blaming God for your poor circumstances.
3.  You are indulging in bad company.
4.  You are falling into temptation regularly.
5.  You are treasuring the world more than you are treasuring God.

I will admit that I am guilty of struggling with all of these at one time or another.  But lately number 1 has been a serious struggle.  I have two kids, one of which I homeschool and to find quiet time to spend with God is hard to find.  That is, unless I am willing to wake up before the kids and let's be honest, that is really tough to do.  I have a million excuses but all of them are lame because I know that I need that time with God.  It's like exercise, it takes some motivation to sit down and do it but once you do, you NEVER regret it!  So, tomorrow I am going to do it.  I am going to wake up at (EEK) 6:30 am and spend a half hour with God.  I'll probably spend the first five minutes praying that I can stay awake but I definitely know it is worth it.  God is always worth it.  Always.

The pastor asked everyone, Are you closer to God today than you have ever been?  If not, why?  You know God hasn't moved.  That means you have.  And more than likely one of the five is causing you to drift away from Him. (ouch, the truth hurts!)

If you are willing to share, which one of the five do you struggle with, and how can you take the steps to move closer to God, instead of drifting away?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE every single Comment! Thank you!