Friday, September 23, 2011

Fun Friday Craft: Alphabet Magnets!

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a great blog (http://www.littlelucylu.com/ ) and she had a great craft on there that she had found on someone else's blog (I love how the blog community works!).  A lot of people including me cannot stand those Plastic Alphabet letters that you can buy in the store.  The colors are bold, they edges are sharp, and they just aren't aesthetically pleasing in the home.  So making my own "cool" magnets seemed like a GREAT idea!! 

I went to Michaels to pick up the supplies:
*2 bags of wooden disks
*1 can spray paint in your favorite color (I chose Periwinkle)
*2 bags of magnets
*1 super glue
* 1 package of STAX round alphabet letters (found them in the scrapbooking section)
*1 bottle Mod Podge


This is how I did it (and how you can do it too!).  First, I got my wooden discs ready.  I layed them all out on a flat box and spray painted them Periwinkle blue. 

 Next I got together my supplies and got ready to Mod Podge for my very first time!  I'll admit I was a little nervous and worried I would mess up somehow but I watched a couple You Tube videos on how to do it and it was easier than I thought. 
 I then Mod Podged the paper letters onto the painted wooden disks. 
 This is how the Mod Podge looks wet but after about 20 minutes it dries clear.
 After they are dry (check your Mod Podge bottle for directions on how long to let them dry) you can turn them over and super glue the magnets onto the backs of the discs.
 Here they are finished and on my fridge!  My kids LOVE them and have been playing with them nonstop since I put them up.  My daughter is in Kindergarten this year and she has been creating words and sounding out the letters! I love it! 
I wish I had better pictures to show you because they are even cuter in person but my camera doesn't take the best photos.  I really hope that you enjoyed this Fun Friday craft!!  I love finding new projects that I can do to make my home more personal and fun!  Hope everyone has a great Friday and a great weekend!!

3 comments:

  1. Cute Jamie! I love them! One trick I learned about taking good photos is to use as much natural light as possible. You can put them near a window with good light, in the garage with the door open, or outside in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies!

    Rebecca, thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea, Jamie! The magnets would be perfect for leaving love notes :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE every single Comment! Thank you!