Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Mom's Variation of 1 Corinthians 13

Today at MOPS our mentor mom shared this story.  I hope it inspires you moms out there that love is the most important characteristic of a good mom. 


"If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place, but have not love, I am a housekeeper-- not a homemaker.  If I have time for waxing, polishing, and decorating, but have not love, my children learn cleanliness-- not godliness.  If I talk to my children about what is right and what is wrong, but have not love, I am like a ringing doorbell or pots and pans banging in the kitchen.  And though I know what stages they will go through, and understand their growing pains, and can answer all their questions about life, but have not love, I am nothing.

If I give up the fulfillment of a career to make my children's lives better, and stay up all night sewing costumes or baking cookies on short notice, but grumble about lack of sleep, I have not love and accomplish nothing.

Love leaves the dust  in search of a child's laugh.

Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.

Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk.

Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.

Love is the key that opens salvation's message to a child's heart.

Love crawls with the baby, walks with the toddler, runs with the child, and then stands aside to let the youth walk into adulthood.

Before I became a mother, I took glory in my house of perfection.  Now I glory in God's perfection of my child's heart.

As for home-baked bread, it will be consumed and forgotten; as for spotless floors, they will soon gather dust and heel marks.  And as for children-- well, right now toys, friends and food are all important to them.   But when they grow up, it will have been how they were loved that will determine how they love others.

As a mother, there is much I must teach my child about faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE every single Comment! Thank you!